Thursday, September 18, 2008

Grabbing Toes

So I wanted to get poopsie grabbing her toes on my bed. I wanted to play with the light and decided to try backlighting since I wasn't going for her face. Once again, I had a little trouble with composition, but it's getting a little better. I tried a lot of things this time at least. I took these at about 8:30 a.m. in my bedroom with one shutter open. That's pretty low, cool light. I got pretty much the effect I wanted though. Here are a few:

On this one, I think I wanted her a little smaller.
1/125 F1.8 400 50mm

I cropped this one a little.
1/125 F1.8 400 50mm

Here are a couple I turned BW. I think I may have even made them a little darker to let the light stand out more.
1/125 F1.8 400 50mm

1/80 F1.8 400 50mm

This one is a little blurry--I was trying out Av mode in this one and the last one. I think I'll stick to manual, especially in low light situations. But i did like the composition of this one, and those beautiful catchlights.
1/50 F2.8 400 50mm (+1 Exposure Compensation)

I realized today that one of the reasons I have a hard time composing a picture with this camera (and specifically this lens) is because I have to actually reposition MYSELF rather than zoom in and out. It was easy for me to get a shot when I was doing it with my fingers. I need to have a whole shoot where I look at the same object (stationary) and just reposition myself over and over so I get used to it. Nonetheless, it's starting to sink in.

1 comment:

Jeri said...

I love love love the fourth shot. The pillow in the background and wrinkles add texture. Love the dramatic light here too. You have quite a few treasures from this session.

I saw your comment on my flickr about the bum angle. I was going to mention it, it's not bad- but from this angle you see bits of the diaper. Flip her around so her head is pointing to the window, but she is at an angle. (Think about recreating the maternity picture of Corinne on her back, but with Jane!)