Sunday, July 27, 2008

Today's Lesson: FLASH

Cami, the flash is not evil. If you are documenting a friend's going away party and it's indoors in the evening, JUST FLASH! (Didn't you learn that at Emily's reception????) Otherwise, yes, you'll have to go all the way up to 1600 sometimes, and everyone will have dark eyes. Ugh. Why didn't you think of that!?

That is all. I'll leave some examples, and a few good shots from the party.


Ok, so in the above picture I used a flash and I hid the shadow well. Why not in the picture below?


See, the picture below is how most of the shots turned out in the back part of the house. I was looking so much at the light meter that I forgot about how the shadows would fall on the faces.


In the front room they were better because there was evening light coming in the window, as seen below. And even so, someone's shadow is falling over her, and with a flash that would have been eliminated.

Ok, so in the picture below, I was just rejoicing that I got both boys smiling at the same time! Oh these two are hard! Never underestimate a good "BLA BLA!" to get a kid's attention. Lame that I didn't move that stuff in the background until the next group of shots! Oh well--PHOTOSHOP!

I've decided not to put the specs on here because next time I will work with the flash a little more in an indoor evening party.

In other news, thanks to Kellie who gave me a bunch of photography books today! Also, she is now going to be a contributor!! Woohoo!!

1 comment:

Matt said...

Using non-natural light in Photography is mysterious and magical thing. I'm pretty sure I'm only about 100 years from understanding it...almost there!

I tend use more flash outdoors than in. One thing I've found essential for indoor flash is a diffuser or bounce setup. This website tells how to do some home-made jobs for your onboard or add-on flash. I think the film canister idea might be worth checking out for your XTi.