Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Better Now (Indoor)

Ok, so I think the bulk of my problem in the last shoot (post below) was that it just wasn't good light. I waited till 11:00, opened the window a little more, and I had MUCH more luck! Here's what I got:

I did the first one at ISO 1600 just to save myself some anguish, and I got this one.

ISO 1600 Tv 1/125 F4.5

I saw that there was enough light, so I went down to 800 and played around with Tv and Av and got this one. I also turned her the other way by this point to face the light. And she was really mad.

ISO 800 Tv 1/125 F3.5

I turned a couple bw and found out that on my little photo professional program they DO have curves, so that's fun. I changed it only a little, because they seemed pretty good on their own.

ISO 800 Tv 1/125 F3.5

ISO 800 Tv 1/125 F3.5

This one of the boys is kind of funny, and my feet are in it. I still kind of like it.

ISO 800 Tv 1/125 F3.5

And this one is cute of Jeffy. Too bad the baby's face is in shadow. Although that's kind of cool too.

ISO 800 Tv 1/125 F3.5

So, I guess I can't make the f-stop if the camera doesn't let me. I'll figure this all out eventually.

2 comments:

Matt said...

I think your photos are coming along great. You seem to be asking all the right questions.

It strikes me that you might enjoy a 50mm f/1.8 lens. Popularly referred to as a "Nifty Fifty." It's an inexpensive lens that canon makes. The 1.8 aperture lets in plenty of light for the type of portraits you're doing, so you could bump up your ss a bit. They can usually be found new for around $80.

That said, a new lens is not always the answer to a disappointing photo. Experience is king in this game, IMO.

Kellie said...

Said another way, the f/stop is controlled by how large an aperture the lens can open to, so yeah, if you want to be able to open to a larger aperture, you have to buy a different lens. I have a nifty fifty that you're welcome to play around with sometime.