Saturday, July 19, 2008

Shutter Speed and ISO

I went to the park today and thought I'd try out shutter speed. I had it on manual setting, but I didn't change anything else besides Tv and ISO. Av was F5.6, Split Metering, Flash was off and I mostly used manual focus.

This picture was actually not in the shoot, but I take a lot of pictures on this white chair by our big glass sliding door. How can I get it right?
Tv 1/30 ISO 800


Jeffy was playing in the sand in partial shade. This is the best one I got, but two seconds later I got the one below, which is too dark on his face. I don't love the composition of either.

For the last two shots: Tv 1/320 ISO 200 F5.6


These are some shots of Ethan in shade. They are nice, but a little dark.

Both shots: Tv 1/250 ISO 200


I got a lot of shots that were really dark like this. How disappointing! They were really cute.
Tv 1/250 ISO 200 Full Shade F5.6

I used Digital Photo Professional to lighten this one and the next one by clicking Tone Curve Assist--High.



I like this one but the baby's face is so dark. Is there any way to fix that besides arranging shade better?

This one I should have focused manually. Ethan's sweaty head is in focus.

This one's better, but the baby is still too dark and the background too light. I feel drawn to that upper corner.
For all three above: Tv 1/250 ISO 200 F5.6


How DO you get a good aerial shot? I can never figure out the angle.

I just snapped this without thinking of focus, but only those chubby little thighs are in focus here. I usually do close ups, so I need to make sure I can take a picture with everything in focus too.
Both shots Tv 1/250 ISO 400 F5.6


After totally washing out a few shots, I got to this setting. Still a little too light unless that's what I was going for. Tv 1/250 ISO 800

These two are a better for lighting (I think--are they still too dark?) but this is a GREAT reminder to always focus manually. They are almost identical, but in the first one her whole face is out of focus--it focused on her dress. In the next one her face was in focus. I was holding her hand to make her happy. All I did was shift the camera a little to change the focus.

Both shots: Tv 1/250 ISO 400 F5.6

That's it for today. I was going to ask what people use for a typical setting in the shade would be, but since I used the same setting and some turned out and some didn't, I guess I should just keep experimenting. I guess for starters I could always turn it to the auto shade setting and see what the camera thinks it should do and then I could mess around from there. Also, I read a little today about using Av and Tv auto settings and just changing one setting instead of two. I'll have to try that out as well.

5 comments:

Jeri said...

My mind is going a mile a minute reading this!! I should just call you. I will start by answering the last question about shade in a very informal way.
1.Get your child in some nice solid shade.
2.Set your camera in manual...ISO at 200 if it is a sunny day.
3. Set your f-stop at 3.5 or 4.0 (whatever you want)
4. Then dial your shutter speed until the the little "mark" on the exposure level indicator is between the 0 and the 1 (experiment!) A shutter below 125 is not my friend! =)

I could type more, but I am hoping photography group gets another go (fingers crossed), and I could just talk to you then.

I am really glad you are doing this blog! It will help you learn so quickly.

Cami said...

YAY Jeri! I'm so glad you posted. Thanks for the advice. I really do hope the photography group starts again!! I'd love to have some assignments and see what others are doing.

holly b said...

i haven't played around with a DSLR, but my SLR version of yours (Canon Rebel circa 99) had a spot focusing and spot metering tool that you could use to meter a specific area or auto-focus "priority" to a specific spot in the lens.

just an idea! would that make the lighting in the shadows better? another thing to try is fill in flash when there's plenty of available light but you want a little more.

I'm very rusty on my skills though, so I may be way off the mark there. have fun experimenting!

Kellie said...

Hey Cami! Great Blog! When you want to focus on something not in the middle of the picture, (like Jane's head instead of Ethan's sweaty one) you can still use auto focus like so: press the button while aiming at Jane to get the focus on her, then keep the button partially pressed and move the camera to compose the picture however you want. Then push the button all the way to take the photo. The focus will remain at the original point. If that doesn't make sense, then we really should get together and play. :o)

And I'm with Jeri, I use full manual more than I use either aperture or shutter priority (Av and Tv) I only use those when I'm taking tons of snapshots at a game or other activity and can't stop to adjust my camera before every shot.

Cami said...

Thanks! You guys are awesome. Those are great suggestions! Now I have to keep all these things in my brain . . . I'll start a little notebook with tips and tricks.