So, here's what I got. I don't love any of them. Somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong!
Here's Jeffy showing the divers how to do a triple twist from the safety of the grass.
Sheely, showing serious diving form. Either I didn't have time to get the lighting right, or a cloud came over just in time. Either way, SOME of the picture should have been clearly focused.
Tufty at full speed. Actually, I like this one, but he's too close to the top of the frame.
Jeffy working through his fear of spraying water. I do like that he is somewhat statinary while the water shows motion.
I wish I'd gone with a little faster shutter speed during the diving shots. I liked 1/80 the best for what I was going for. I guess it's all preference, but also a little control and I'm sure there are some rules I know nothing about. Anyway, there's my first try.
6 comments:
Action is fun. May I suggest you that really UP your shutter speed. Especially if you're out in the sun. You can afford to have it around 1000 (or more for faster sports).
Personally I prefer NO motion blur with sports. Sometimes a pan blur is cool . . . but generally I want to really stop the action. Remember, your camera is moving and so is your subject. You need a FAST click.
Also, You might benefit from changing your focus settings if you haven't already. I shoot action with a set focus point (rather than adaptive/auto focus points). Usually I'm on center focus unless I'm shooting at f/2.8 and then I'm more picky. But in my opinion, the most important thing about focus to change is your drive. You might have it set to "One Shot". Try shooting in "AI Focus" mode. It's my favorite.
Ah yes, change the focus! I forgot about that. I was going for the blur this time, but I can see that it's pretty hard to do. Next time I'll go for the superfast shutter speed. I'll probably like my shots better. Thanks.
You can still get blur with a faster shutter speed. Try shooting at 1/500 or so, using AI Focus mode and pan as a car goes by. If you're close enough to your subject that you are moving your camera pretty quick, you should get some background blur without losing focus on your subject.
Oooh, I see. I'm dping it ALL sorts of wrong. I'm going to have to try all those different focus modes.
I think it's really hard to learn how to control exposure by reading. At least for me. After reading so I know what I'm talking about, I like to shoot a LOT in one mode. For sports, just go to a high school (or similar) sports event and practice with different settings. The ideas start to click.
Post a Comment