Tuesday, August 12, 2008

50mm Retry

I thought I'd work on poopsie for a little while with my 50mm lens. I tried some different angles (even though they all sort of look the same) and had her sitting up this time (in a Bumbo chair--LOVE those!). I also tried making the f-stop a little smaller. Here are the results:

50mm 1/200 f2.8 400

50mm 1/125 f2.8 400

With the smaller f-stop I was able to get her whole face in focus on this one.
50mm 1/160 f2.8 400

A tragic tragedy. She flailed out of my focus just as the picture took. UGH! Any remedies for that with such a small d.o.f.?
50mm 1/160 f2.8 400

I wanted to show her sitting in her Bumbo, but I focused a little wrong here. One of her little hands is really sharp, but not her face.
50mm 1/160 f2.8 400

For FOCUS, the one below is better.
50mm 1/160 f2.8 400

Jeffy wouldn't cooperate here and baby's face is not great, but this IS the idea I was going for with the d.o.f. I wanted Jeffy a little blurry and the baby sharp.
50mm 1/160 f2.8 400

Actually, this one with Ethan is even more what I was going for, except of course for the faces and whatnot.

I thought I'd throw this one in just because I was fast enough to catch the end of this sneeze!
50mm 1/160 f2.8 400

It is so much easier to get pictures of smoochy when she isn't lying down! I'm confused about those. Jeri, what is the taking pictures of your baby book you told me about? I want ideas . . .

6 comments:

Matt said...

They're looking great. Jane is so expressive!

A few tips that might help... To combat your baby moving in and out of focus, you might want to switch from "One Shot" to "AI Focus" for your focus drive and maybe change your focus point to center (or another fixed point). As you probably know, AI Focus will continually focus while you have the shutter button pressed half way.

Also, have you ever played with your White Balance? This is all completely subjective as you might have a different tastes in this area. Feel free to veto this completely...but it seems like your photos are coming out pretty cold (think bluish/whitish tint). I generally like to either warm mine up (think brownish/reddish tint) with PP (Loooove Adobe Lightroom for this) or to set the white balance before shooting. It can really change the feel of your photos.

Cami said...

Matt, I couldn't remember which focus it was! I did try one of the focus settings at the end, but I don't think I got the right one. I'll make a note.

I did wonder about white balance. I've never read anything about it yet, so I didn't experiment. Sometimes I want to warm it up so Jeffy doesn't look like a ghost.

Matt said...

I hope you don't mind me editing one of your shots. Here is an example. Just a 1 minute job...but you get the idea.

Compare it to your orig and you'll notice the warmth.

http://themdg.org/temp/037.jpg

Again, it's all subjective. Travie would still call my version cold. He likes them WARM.

Cami said...

So, yeah, I've been thinking about it. I really do like the natural light, but I haven't loved the light I usually get in my shoots. I decided it's because I always shoot in the early morning when the light is still so white! I think if I shot later in the same spot, I'd get much warmer pictures. In fact, I took a couple shots of some friends in the same room at around 3:00 p.m., and the tone was much warmer. See one here: http://picasaweb.google.com/jacob.turpin/Garners/photo#5233717978579715250

Jeri said...

Fun shoot! Are you changing focus points, or using the middle focus point to focus then recompose? I prefer the first.


How to photograph your baby by Nick Kelsh. Very simple book, nothing about technique....just borrow mine. It is not a book you would have to read twice. =)

Cami said...

Jeri, I am doing the middle focus, but I DID actually glance at the different focus points today but never got around to trying it. That will be my next assignment!