Saturday, August 16, 2008

Hammock take 2

I wanted to try the wood/rope background of the hammock on our deck again, this time with smoochy-roo, and Ethan wanted to join. I think I did keep the white balance at shade pretty much the whole time. Mostly I was working on composition for this.

First I thought the hammock might not be comfortable for the baby, so I used a blankie. But it did let me get a different angle than usual on her.
47 mm 1/200 F5.6 400
I also used a small tone adjustment

Then I put her straight on the ropes. I like how she grabbed right on and folded herself in.
47 mm 1/160 F5.6 400


She was pretty much hanging upright and holding herself on. The hammock was good for different positions--it holds well and is a little safer.
25 mm 1/200 F5.6 400

A more natural upright portrait, because she was hanging vertically. If I wanted, I could use my 50mm for this shot and really blur out those ropes.
47mm 1/160 F5.6 400
Tone adjustment.

This is just about the only way to get Ethan to safely hold the baby. I love his face! Also, apparently my boys are ALWAYS wearing these white undershirts. I need to change them every now and then . . . .
25 mm 1/320 F4.0 400


So, I still don't actually have Photoshop installed yet, so I just did a quick BW job on this. But I really do like how the ropes stand out. I also did a crop on this one.
25 mm 1/320 F4.0 400

Jake took the nest down from the rafters and we found a walnut casing in it. I played around with color saturation and it really made the nest stand out from the wood and brought out some reddish tones. I tried to change the focus meter, but I couldn't figure it out. Good thing I'm currently reading my manual!
18 mm 1/200 F3.5 400

That's it for today. School is starting soon, so I'll be able to get out and take some pictures away from my house! (gasp!)

5 comments:

mylittlegems said...

I love the top photo of little J....she is adorable. Can I copy u?? I am a "wannabe photograher" too :) I might just put photo of the week or something on my other bloggie....

Cami said...

Sharla, copy all you want! I want to copy people all the time. I've been meaning to email you and answer those questions . . . sorry!

Kellie said...

All I can say is Gorgeous-er and Gorgeous-er. I love seeing your progress and experiments. You have some true keepsakes there, friend. Beautimous!

Lincoln said...

The black and white of Ethan and Jane is too cute! I love it. I bet you are trilled with the first one of Jane! I don't think she could be any sweeter! Cute!

Jeri said...

Ya...that was me. sorry.