Tuesday, August 5, 2008

50mm lens

I got my new lens yesterday so I attacked my children again! Mostly Ethan, because he's my biggest challenge. You've got to CATCH him. No posing. So I often have low-light situations with him.

Today I had 9:00 a.m. light in my window. Getting the right lighting was GREAT with this lens! The problem was focus, of course. The d.o.f. is so small! But I got a few good ones and a few weird ones. Here they are:

This was the best I got. I love his expression.
50mm 1/125 F1.8 400


This one is blurry. Just the shutter speed is different, but I thought a faster speed was always better. He probably just moved out of my focus before I took it.
50mm 1/250 F1.8 400


This next one is crazy. One eye is in focus, the other, nope. Maybe I was too close to him? I needed to set a different metering setting? A smaller aperature?
50mm 1/125 F1.8 400

These next two are in focus, so I'm wondering why. Did I just focus on a more central area? My settings are a little different in the first one.
50mm 1/160 F2.0 400

50mm 1/125 F1.8 400

One last one for kicks. Jeffy did this pose for me and asked me to take it. HA! I actually quite like the composition.
50mm 1/320 F1.8 400


Sad that my children are always in their jammies when I take pictures. Later today I'm going to try shutter speed at the pool--if there is any movement from my children, that is!

6 comments:

Matt said...

They're looking nice. Yes...the DOF at f/1.8 is a different scene, that's for sure. You might try bumping it up to 2.8. Still faster than your kit lens, and a bit longer field.

Don't discount camera shake when you're figuring out why things are blurry. Even at 1/250th, you can be moving the camera enough to cause some problems.

Cami said...

Yes, yes, I see. At the largest aperature, I'm focusing on one FEATURE of his face. Even that best one I got only focuses one side of his face. That makes sense. Thanks Matt.

Jeri said...

That first one is so good! Pat your self on the back for that one! I love it.

With the eyes I think you understand the dof thing. Here is a tip though, when the eyes are not in the same plane one of them will be out of focus (if your dof is very narrow) I always focus on the eye that is closest to me.

(I love to come and post here...I am sorry if I am annoying. I love how fast you are learning, questioning and understanding photography.)

Cami said...

Jeri! Not annoying!!! I love your advice for sure! I don't want you to have to feel obligated, but I am all for learning here.

SO, each eye DOESN'T have to be in focus? I guess it's a preference thing. I liked that first picture, but started picking it apart. But I guess if it's something that's DONE, you know . . . :)

mylittlegems said...

can I join your blog? j/k but I am totally on w/ this- Love photography so much- just don't have the equipement. Can you email me details of the camera you got? The first photo looks really good! nice work.

Kellie said...

Nice work, Cami!