Monday, July 28, 2008

Bollman Bridge

Ok, so I though I'd do a photo shoot for FHE tonight (under the guise of playing at the cool bridge) because I can get an 8X8 photobook for free if I order by the 30th, so I wanted to get enough good shots to have a good siblings with new baby book. I had my successes and failures again, but I thought I'd post my best and some I wish were better so you can all advise me if you have solutions.

There's a lot, so get ready!

55 mm 1/125 F5.6 400
I wish I'd gotten more tracks here, with the boys more at the bottom. Composing a shot was really hard with how fast these boys move.


55 mm 1/200 F5.6 400
Jeffy is such a poser these days. This one seems strange because the bridge is the same type of angle as his head.


55 mm 1/200 F5.6 200
Faster shutter speed for this one? Actually, I kind of like it showing his constant movement.


33 mm 1/200 F4.5 200
Man, I just caught that dimple big time.

18 mm 1/200 F3.5 200
I had to come to terms with the fact that this is the best I'll get of Ethan. Those power lines can be photoshopped out.


31 mm 1/250 F4.5 200
I was lucky to get this extreme closeup. Ethan is in constant motion. It's really tricky to keep the lighting right when I have to zoom out, move around, and keep an eye on everything. I do realize I can make the aperature stay put even if I zoom at some levels, but man, I'm not sure I should if everything changes so quickly!

37 mm 1/200 F5.0 200
Finally got a thumb sucking shot I like!



33 mm 1/160 F4.5 200

46 mm 1/160 F5.6 200

33 mm 1/125 F4.5 200
Check out that bokeh baby! (Is that what it's called?) Does the lens do that? Ah, but no one is looking with THAT smile in the picture!


18 mm 1/100 F3.5 200
I think I was going for movement here, with that shutter speed, but my depth of field was way too short so I didn't focus right. Ugh.


18 mm 1/100 F3.5 200
I had NO time time to set up for this, so I'm surprised it turned out so well!


18 mm F3.5 1/125 400
Jeffy on his way to Mordor.


AN EDITING SECTION

37 mm 1/200 F5.0 200
I got this shot . . .

turned it b/w . . .
then cropped it closer.


18 mm 1/200 F3.5 200
I took this lame-o shot and . . .

made this panorama ACTION shot!


Ok, so my questions for this shoot: When do you use higher shutter speeds and when do you use higher aperature? I don't know which to change when. Also, what's the best way to keep the lighting right when I zoom my camera a lot or my kids move a lot? Tricky!

2 comments:

Christie said...

I like the smilie baby and the crop work. I will offer no answers as my technical explanations are very very lacking. :-)

Amber said...

love all your pictures it just sure makes me miss all of you!! Addy is trying to find her thumb right now.....