So. I vowed I'd never do it, but so many people in my neighborhood have been asking me to take family pictures, I just decided I may has well start charging--just a pittance. I'd already told a few families that I'd take their pictures, so I'm going to do theirs for free, but after that, I'm going to set some dates with session times, and just let people sign up for those--I'll only have to work a few hours a day, on days I set aside, and then I'll quickly proof my favorites and give them all CDs and they can print them out on their own. I'll probably only do it before the holiday season, and in the summer, in case people don't love fall photos. Just a couple times a year. I think that will be fun! Maybe if I get better at infant photos, I can charge for those too, but I'd rather just do a session as a gift--then I wouldn't feel bad if they are ridiculous. I seem to be better at families. I guess we all have our forte.
ANYway, so since I decided to charge, I figured I'd better figure out if I can even DO what I'm going to charge for. I did a quick (30 min) session with a family--friends of mine--for free, and I think I feel pretty confident that I can get enough good shots that people will be pleased. Here are some of my favorites:
My friend asked me to take the pictures because of the ones I took of my kids and put on my mantle. So she wanted the same thing--some close ups of the kids in BW. These are what I got.
I was worried about the last one not being quite like the others, but it was SO much better than the other one I got of her that I had to use it. You'll see it in color later.
These are the best of the family shots I got. The little bear they are holding represents the little girl they just lost at 30 weeks.
Some of just the kids
I love that this last one really show their personalities. The water was pretty cold!
And for me, I love these next two the best. Such sweet girls!
YAY! I love this location, because there is LOTS of shade, and lots of STUFF--trees, rocks, water, bridges. But I really do need to find something else, or all my pictures will look the same. I took these at about 6:30 p.m. The light was lovely, but I want to try some at dusk.
Anyway I had a great time, and I feel pretty good about doing some cheap sessions for my own neighborhood. If I don't start charging and setting up sessions, I'll just end up doing a session once a week for free, and that isn't going to work for me. I don't think I'd ever advertise or make a website or anything, but this is "going pro" enough for me. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









1 comment:
Nice work! These all have great things about them. The last one is very special because of the composition and her perfect hair blowing across. I love your attitude about it all. After all, it is your talent. You can share it, make money from it, or just enjoy it for yourself and your family. Having a business is not a requirement for being an artist.
Post a Comment